By now you might have took off your Christmas and New Year decorations, bid goodbyes to the visiting friends and family and finally cuddled up with your beloved pet in a warm and cozy corner of your room with a steaming cup of hot chocolate. As you might know, winters can be a little harsh on hair and skin and these require extra moisturising in winters to keep them from problems like flaking, dryness and hair fall. The same principal applies to your pets’ skin too. Here are some useful tips to help you take better care of your canine friends during the chilly winters in Windsor.
- You might notice that dogs shed more during winters as compared to their regular shedding in warmer climates. Make sure you brush your dog more frequently in such weather so as to prevent tangling of fur hair and stimulate the oil glands to relieve the dryness of skin.
- All that snow, ice and salt sprinkled on the roads can really harm your pet’s feet. To prevent potential accidents, follow these tips:
- Wash your dog’s feet after every walk with tepid water to remove gravel and salt parts from their paw folds.
- File their nails and keep them short. Longer nails get stuck in snow and ice and break off easily.
- With the help of your professional groomer, make sure you clip away the tiny hair bunches in between the toes of your pet’s paws. This would prevent formation of painful ‘foot snowballs’ due to the snow and ice stuck in them.
- If you dog is comfortable in wearing pet coats or sweaters, then do buy them one according to their breed and size. There are numerous colours and designs available in the market for you to choose from. However, it is important to remember that the pet coat constantly creates friction with this additional clothing layer which might cause tangles and mats in their fur. Either you make them wear these only when they go out of the house or change them after regular intervals of time.
Besides keeping these three points in mind, you can also take consultation from a professional groomer or veterinarian doctor from some reliable Windsor animal hospital like Ambassador Animal Hospital for treatment of specific skin conditions. You can also ask for help from your friends and relatives that own a pet about how they take care of his/her health when the temperatures drop down.
Care for pets is a very sensitive issue. Some people go over the top to make their companies comfortable. I personally, have seen some amazing pet owners who even choose holiday in places where their animal friend is allowed entry. Such love and compassion for pets is rarely found. Few think that keeping pets is a status symbol while few others are really serious about every little thing that involves their pet. This requires no saying that, visiting your vets in Windsor is one thing you must do routinely to keep your pets happy and healthy.
Every pet owner loves their pet but, loving is not enough. Since, this animal friend of yours cannot express his or her problems you must be observant of his or her activities to find out. If you see your pet doing anything out of the usual, take him or her to your vet immediately for check – up. Delay can only exaggerate the situation and make it worse. And, sometimes they might become life threatening too. Ignoring your pet’s difficulties is one of the most foolish things to do.
There are some really good veterinarians in Windsor, who can help you with all kinds of pet problems. From grooming to critical surgeries, a comprehensive pet care is provided in the animal hospitals. Consult your vet about the ways you can ensure the safety of your pet. Ask your vet about home remedies that you can use for instant relief in case of emergency medical situation. Keep an eye on your pet and try to understand the gestures through which your pet tries to communicate with you. A good pet owner can very well understand or at least try to understand his or her pet’s reactions. It is your job to keep your pet safe.
Some pets are smart, some are aggressive, some are spoiled and some perhaps combination of all three. These little creatures bring happiness to their owners’ lives that they didn’t even know they were missing. In return for all the happiness and safety that they provide to a family, the members of the family must take a vow to protect their four-legged friend from harm’s way in every way they can. They are very sensitive to certain environments. By understanding your pet well you are in a better position to provide the love and care they deserve than the pet owners who don’t.